LifeLabs Genetics New Service | Un service de dépistage génétique

Posted November 12th, 2018 by Administrator

Hemochromatosis Genetic Testing and Counselling Now Offered Through LifeLabs Genetics

Our parents pass down many genetic traits, which make up how we look and how we develop. As we know, we can’t choose what mom and dad pass down to us, just like we can’t choose what we pass on to our kids! Our parents also pass down genetic information that can protect us from or predispose us to disease. Hereditary Hemochromatosis (HH) is caused by genetic changes in the HFE gene that are passed down from our mom and dad. The cells in our bodies contain thousands of genes, which provide the instructions that tell our bodies how to grow and function. We have two copies of each gene; one copy is inherited from our mother and the other from our father. Sometimes a change or mistake in a gene can occur, like a spelling error in word of a book. This is called a mutation.

HH is an autosomal recessive condition. An individual who has HH has mutations in both copies of their HFE gene, which means they have two non-working HFE genes. The HFE gene can be thought of as a brake light or stop sign, for controlling how much iron from our diet is absorbed into the cells of our body. When the HFE gene doesn’t work, an excessive amount of iron is absorbed that can create a build-up of iron in our organs (i.e. iron overload). HH is one of the most common inherited conditions; people of Northern European ancestry have a 1/300 chance of being born with two non-working HFE genes and current research estimates that 1 in 9 Canadians are carriers of an HFE gene mutation.1

Autosomal recessive conditions are usually passed on by two carrier parents. Carriers have one working copy of HFE (no mutation) and one non-working copy of HFE (has a mutation). The carrier’s health is rarely affected.  With each pregnancy, two carriers of HH have a 25% chance of having an unaffected child with two working genes; a 50% chance of having an unaffected child who is also a carrier; and a 25% chance of having an affected child with two non-working genes who would be predisposed to iron overload.

The two most common mutations in the HFE gene are C282Y and H63D, which account for the majority of all cases of hemochromatosis.  The S65C variant has been found to be associated with milder forms of hemochromatosis, especially in C282Y/S65C compound heterozygous individuals.  A small percentage of individuals may have unidentified mutations in the HFE gene or another gene. The chance of developing the disease depends on which gene mutations are inherited (as well as other possible co-existing factors):

It is important to note that not everyone who has a predisposition to HH (or two non-working copies of HFE) will develop iron overload, but guidelines recommend that they are monitored accordingly.

Canadian guidelines recommend genetic testing to individuals with suspected hemochromatosis, based on elevated fasting transferrin saturation and ferritin and is typically covered by the Provincial Ministry of Health. Predictive genetic testing is also recommended for first degree relatives (parents, siblings, children) of an individual who has a genetically confirmed diagnosis of hereditary hemochromatosis. Guidelines vary from province to province in terms of what mutations are tested for under government funding.

LifeLabs is a trusted Canadian-owned company that has been serving the healthcare needs of Canadians for more than 50 years. Today, LifeLabs performs more than 100 million laboratory tests every year, helping healthcare providers diagnose, treat, monitor and prevent disease in patients. LifeLabs Genetics is a division of LifeLabs that offers private pay genetic testing for 1000’s of hereditary conditions including individuals with suspected hemochromatosis or at risk family members. To provide individuals with the option to test for mutations which may not be performed under provincial health care, Lifelabs Genetics, through partnership with Centogene, offers hotspot testing for the three mutations in the HFE gene (C282Y, H63D, S65C). LifeLabs Genetics also offers post-test genetic counselling with Canadian board certified, bilingual Genetic Counsellors, who will help interpret results and provide further management recommendations. This is available for a cost of $250. Speak with your doctor or contact the Canadian Hemochromatosis Society to determine what testing is covered in your province. Additional information on this LifeLabs offering can be obtained by contacting LifeLabs Genetics at 1-844-363-4357 or Ask.Genetics@lifelabs.com.

-Dawn Siciliano MS, CCGC Genetic Counsellor, LifeLabs Genetics

References:

1. Canadian Hemochromatosis Society. https://www.toomuchiron.ca/

2. Kowdley KV, Bennett RL, Motulsky A. Current. HFE-Associated Hereditary Hemochromatosis Gene Reviews http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1440#hemochromatosis

3. Bacon et al. Diagnosis and Management of Hemochromatosis: 2011 Practice Guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Hematology.2011

4. Holstrom et al. Mild iron overload in patients carrying the HFE S65C gene mutation: A retrospective study in patients with suspected iron overload and healthy controls. Gut. 2002

 

LifeLabs Genetics offre maintenant un service de dépistage génétique pour l’hémochromatose héréditaire et des sessions de conseil

Nos parents nous transmettent plusieurs traits génétiques qui ont un impact sur notre apparence et notre développement. Nous ne pouvons pas choisir ce que notre mère et notre père nous donnent, tout comme nous ne pouvons pas choisir ce que nous transmettons à nos enfants! Nos parents nous fournissent aussi un bagage génétique qui peut nous protéger contre, ou nous prédisposer à, des maladies. L’hémochromatose héréditaire (HH) est causée par des changements génétiques au gène HFE qui nous est transmis par notre mère et notre père. Les cellules de notre corps contiennent des milliers de gènes; ceux-ci donnent des instructions à notre corps sur comment grandir et comment fonctionner. Nous avons deux copies de chaque gène; une qui provient de notre mère et l’autre, de notre père. Parfois, un changement ou une erreur peut se glisser dans un gène, comme une faute d’orthographe dans un des mots d’un livre. Cela s’appelle une mutation.

L’hémochromatose héréditaire est une maladie autosomique récessive. Un individu qui a l’hémochromatose héréditaire a des mutations dans ses deux copies du gène HFE, ce qui signifie qu’il ou elle a deux copies non-fonctionnelles de ce gène. On peut voir le gène HFE comme une lumière rouge, ou encore un signal d’arrêt, qui sert à contrôler la quantité de fer qui est absorbée depuis notre alimentation pour être stockée dans les cellules de notre corps. Quand le gène HFE ne fonctionne pas, une quantité excessive de fer est absorbée, faisant en sorte qu’une trop grande quantité s’accumule dans nos organes (soit : une surcharge de fer). L’hémochromatose est l’une des maladies héréditaires les plus communes. Les gens de descendance d’Europe du nord ont une chance sur trois cent d’être nés avec deux copies défectueuses du gène HFE, et les chercheurs estiment actuellement qu’un canadien sur neuf est porteur d’une mutation du gène HFE.1

Les maladies autosomiques récessives sont d’habitude transmises par deux parents porteurs. Les porteurs ont une copie fonctionnelle du gène HFE (donc pas de mutation) et une copie défectueuse (avec mutation). La santé du porteur n’est que rarement affectée. À chaque grossesse, deux parents porteurs de l’hémochromatose héréditaire ont 25% de chances d’avoir un enfant non-affecté qui a deux gènes HFE fonctionnels; 50% de chances d’avoir un enfant non-affecté qui est porteur; et 25% de chance d’avoir un enfant affecté par la maladie qui a deux copies défectueuses du gène, et donc qui sera prédisposé à une surcharge de fer.

Carrier parent : Parent porteur
Normal/mutation : Normal/mutation
No mutation : Pas de mutation
Not a carrier : Pas porteur
One mutation : Une mutation
Carrier offspring : Enfant porteur
Two mutations : Deux mutations
Predisposed to HH : Prédisposé à l’hémochromatose

 

Les deux mutations les plus communes pour le gène HFE sont C282Y et H63D. Celles-ci sont responsables de la majorité des cas d’hémochromatose. La variante S65C est associée avec un type d’hémochromatose moins sévère, surtout chez les individus hétérozygotes C282Y/S65C. Un petit pourcentage d’individus peuvent avoir des mutations non-identifiées sur le gène HFE ou sur un autre gène. Le risque de développer ou non la maladie dépend du type de mutation héritée (et de d’autres facteurs co-existants) :

Il est important de noter que ce n’est pas tous les individus qui sont prédisposés à l’hémochromatose héréditaire (soit : qui ont deux copies mutées du gène HFE) qui vont développer une surcharge de faire. Cependant, les lignes directrices en médecine recommandent tout de même d’assurer et un suivi et de demeurer vigilants au cas où.

Les lignes directrices canadiennes recommandent qu’un test de dépistage génétique soit effectué chez les individus  soupçonnés d’avoir l’hémochromatose héréditaire à cause de niveaux de ferritine et de saturation de la transferrine (à jeun) élevés. Ces tests sont d’habitude couverts par le ministère provincial de la santé. Un test de génétique prédictive est aussi recommandé pour la famille immédiate (parents, frères et sœurs, enfants) d’un individu avec un diagnostic d’hémochromatose héréditaire confirmé. Les lignes directrices varient selon la province quant aux mutations détectées par les tests que le gouvernement accepte de payer.

LifeLabs est une compagnie canadienne digne de confiance, qui depuis plus de 50 ans comble des besoins en santé pour les canadiens. De nos jours, LifeLabs fait plus de 100 milions de tests de laboratoire à chaque année, et ce faisant aide les professionnels de la santé à diagnostiquer, traiter, surveiller et prévenir les maladies chez les patients. LifeLabs Genetics est une division de LifeLabs qui offre des tests génétiques au privé pour des milliers de maladies héréditaires, incluant l’hémochromatose héréditaire chez des gens qui sont soupçonnés d’en être atteints ou chez des membres à risque de la famille. Afin d’offrir à des individus l’option de faire des tests pour des mutations qui ne sont pas couvertes par le régime de santé provincial, LifeLabs Genetics – à travers un partenariat avec Centogene – offre des tests spécifiques pour les trois mutations du gène HFE : C282Y, H63D, et S65C. LifeLabs Genetics offre aussi des sessions de soutien conseil avec des conseillers génétiques canadiens certifiés et bilingues, qui offrent de l’aide pour interpréter les résultats et donner des recommandations pour l’avenir. Ces tests spécifiques pour les mutations du gène HFE et une session de soutien conseil génétique sont disponibles pour 250$. Parlez à votre médecin ou contactez la Société canadienne de l’hémochromatose pour déterminer quels tests sont couverts dans votre province. Vous pouvez obtenir plus d’information auprès de LifeLabs Genetics en composant le 1-844-363-4357, ou en écrivant à Ask.Genetics@lifelabs.com.

-Dawn Siciliano MS, Conseiller génitique CCGC, LifeLabs Genetics

Références:

1. Canadian Hemochromatosis Society. https://www.toomuchiron.ca/

2. Kowdley KV, Bennett RL, Motulsky A. Current. HFE-Associated Hereditary Hemochromatosis Gene Reviews http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1440#hemochromatosis

3. Bacon et al. Diagnosis and Management of Hemochromatosis: 2011 Practice Guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Hematology.2011

4. Holstrom et al. Mild iron overload in patients carrying the HFE S65C gene mutation: A retrospective study in patients with suspected iron overload and healthy controls. Gut. 2002